The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ), and report to the Head of Unit, Chief, Finance Officer, or the designate. At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for the completion of a range of finance/budget-related processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff.
To support the effective delivery of finance, budget and administration support services in order to facilitate transparent and efficient utilization of financial resources.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Assist in providing procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules, and regulations.
2. Monitor monthly expenditure forecasts and provide expenditure reports in order to facilitate informed decision-making.
3. Monitor the sub-imprest bank and petty cash accounts regularly, to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed.
4. Verify vendor claims, advances, and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations.
5. Assist in compiling information from various sources in order to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance and statistics.
6. Retrieve, format, and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions.
7. Perform administrative duties related to the monitoring and recording of fixed assets, spend on fuel and spare parts for vehicles and generators, to ensure that the databases are accurately updated.
8. Maintain the web-based register for all invoices and payment transfers and record paperwork, to ensure that all documents are maintained and filed in compliance with WFP standards and guidelines.
9. Monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner.
10. Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other support staff, to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible work experience in the financial area or related field.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has experience collecting and monitoring financial data on projects and programmes, assessing financial health and status, and reporting findings to senior leaders.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Who Can Apply?
This position is open to nationals of Barbados and CARICOM member states and associate members. CARICOM Nationals applying for National positions outside of their home country bear sole responsibility for required actions or expenses related to relocation, accommodation, repatriation, and any other living expenses, etc. A CARICOM Skilled National Certificate is a pre-requisite for employment for successful candidates who are not from the country for which the position is advertised. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Type of position: Short Term. Full Time
Type of Contact: Service Contract Level 5 (SC-5)
Duration on Contract: 12 months with the possibility of extension, based on organizational requirements.
Duty Station: Bridgetown, Barbados.
Remuneration: The salary for this role starts at BBD 4,324.08.
Travel Requirements: The WFP Caribbean Office cover the 22 English and Dutch-speaking Caribbean countries. The selected candidate may be required to travel from time to time, both regionally and internationally, to support missions, emergency responses, training, etc.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application should be submitted by December 18, 2022, at 23:59 Eastern Daylight Time.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered and only short-listed qualified candidates will receive an acknowledgment.
Link to Apply:
How to apply
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attach your CV, answer the pre-screening questions, and agree on the legal statement before submitting your application. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process that includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.