Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: EWER Senior Program Officer for WANEP
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Waves of resource-based, ethnic, and sectarian conflict, rising criminality and banditry, and expanding violent extremism are rendering North Central and Northwest Nigeria increasingly insecure.
- While multiple initiatives seek to address the complex causes of violence, community and security responses to drivers and triggers are often piecemeal at best, and ineffectual at worst. Existing Early Warning and Early Response (EWER) systems suffer from slow responses, poor coordination, top-down mandates that limit community ownership, weak dispute resolution skills among responders, little political and financial investment, leadership structures that exclude women and youth, and scant rigorous evidence. The result of ineffective EWER systems is that unchecked, violence proliferates.
- To examine and mitigate these barriers, Peace Action for Rapid and Transformative Nigerian Early Response (PARTNER) will pursue a bold approach to collaboration across local, international, government, non-government, community, state, and security stakeholders. Our consortium of Government Agencies and CSOs will be led by Mercy Corps in a mentorship capacity in Years 1 and 2, after which local partners will assume leadership, working hand-in-hand with other consortium members.
- Local ownership, fueled by iterative organizational performance assessment and capacity strengthening, will inform each component of the proposed sustainable, flexible, and evidence-based national EWER system that builds on existing locally-led and gender-sensitive conflict management mechanisms for vertical integration; incentivizes quick responses through horizontal coordination; and fosters increased trust in security and government actors to promote inclusive and collective action.
- By embedding EWER innovations within formal structures from the beginning, PARTNER will increase Nigeria’s self-reliance in leading a holistic, coordinated, and effective effort to promote sustainable peace.
General Position Summary
- Based in the office of the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding (WANEP), the Senior Program Officer EWER will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the PARTNER program in WANEP.
- S/he will support the implementation of activities by WANEP related to capacity building for various stakeholder groups.
- The Senior Program Officer EWER provide support to all other activities related to the PARTNER Early Warning and Early Response system strengthening in Nigeria. S/he will ensure smooth, timely, and compliant implementation across the PARTNER program implementation states.
- The Senior Program Officer EWER will liaise frequently with EWER Technical Advisors of implementing partners, establishing standards in support of strategic interventions, development and planning of the Early Warning and Early Response systems for the PARTNER program. S/he will be required to establish and manage relationships with other stakeholders.
- The Senior Program Officer EWER will liaise with the EWER Technical Manager and the MEL Advisor to promote the articulation of the technical processes of data acquisition, data sharing, threat modelling and forecasting in support of the PARTNER program EWER strengthening systems in Nigeria.
- S/he will ensure smooth, timely, and compliant implementation across the PARTNER program implementation states.
- S/he will work closely with the MEL Officer, CARM Officer and Operations staff (including finance and operations) to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Support technical aspects of the peacebuilding and EWER system strengthening in Nigeria by assisting with the development of activities/agendas/curricula as appropriate.
- Facilitate and co-facilitate community meetings, events, and training as required.
- Ensure implementation of activities is on time, target and budget.
- Liaise with PARTNER implementing partner organizations and potential resource persons as needed.
- Promote the consolidation of national integrated multi-threat Early Warning and Early Response systems strengthening in Nigeria.
- Support the standardization of alerts for different threats and harmonization of key messages.
- Support the expansion of community-based EWER system including consideration of gender and vulnerable groups.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to community needs, meets targets, and is carried out in line with best practices
- Establish and maintain effective program reporting and monitoring and evaluation systems (to track, analyze and report on results) for both internal and external use
- Integrate community approaches, protection mainstreaming, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate
- Ensure effective community engagement to create enabling environment and ownership.
- Submit weekly program updates including success stories to the supervisor.
- Update Program Issue Log, Risk Register & Incident Tracker as appropriate.
- Ensure program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor regulations and filing is regularly maintained
- Adhere to all MC policies related to security, operations and transport/ logistics information.
- Oversee program start-up, management and administration. Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Confirm beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to transparent criteria.
- Develop partnership frameworks, partner agreements/Memorandum of Understandings, and oversee partner capacity building.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate. Certify all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Ensure program strategies and activities represent global good practice in EWER.
- Supervise and/or review the work of program consultants.
- Coordinate with procurement, logistics, security, administration, and human resources teams to ensure operational systems support field activities.
- Fulfil Mercy Corps’ Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Mentor the PARTNER Consortium team including clear delineation of responsibilities and authority
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps’ regulations.
- Create and maintain systems to ensure effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with program, donor and Mercy Corps’ needs.
- Ensure systems are in place for capacity development of PARTNER Sub grantees.
Influence & Representation:
- Represent Mercy Corps at government, donor, NGO and other relevant events, in close coordination with the EWER Technical Manager.
- Coordinate activities with consortium partners, subgrantees, local government and other implementers, as well as with other Mercy Corps programs.
- Strengthen the Convening powers of the PARTNER Project Consortium to bring together key actors in the EWER.
- Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Report on any problems encountered in the field such as project participant complaints, local authority interference, and security threats to MC staff and activities. Coordinate with MC Security Officer and State Manager on any threats to MC staff and activities; follow up on incidents/security threats in areas of operation.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Reports Directly To:EWER Technical Manager
- Works Directly With:Program Officer, MEL Officer, PARTNER consortium members, other program managers in-country, finance and operations teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- B.Sc / B.A or equivalent in Conflict Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant fields.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience working in the non-profit sector preferably in conflict management/peacebuilding and community development.
- Experience working in rural areas in Nigeria, particularly in target states of PARTNER.
- Experience working in a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Knowledge of Hausa is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Experience engaging with State and Local Government authorities, religious leaders and local partners.
- Experience managing community-based peacebuilding and EWER interventions.
- Strong training and capacity-building experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the conflict dynamics in the Middle Belt & Northwest Nigeria.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Demonstrate strong emotional intelligence.
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills.
- S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive communication skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level.
- Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Abuja and requires travel to project states. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectivesand authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best workof their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening, and evolving to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination based on race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we encounter through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants, or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to the Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Application Closing Date
23rd September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.