The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Medical Referent
Location: Maiduguri / Jere, Borno
Contract Term: Contract under French Law
Contract Length: 2 months
Position to be filled: ASAP
Mission and Objectives
- The medical référent supervises the overall management and ensures the smooth running of Cholera outbreak activity in Borno State specially in Maiduguri/Jere LGAs.
- Ensures that all activity linked to the cholera outbreak management done in the areas supported by ALIMA is implemented according to the standard and helps to get solutions to reach vulnerable populations.
- Works in an intelligent relationship/collaboration with the MOH (Director of LGAs, Borno State EOC, PHCC in charge, etc).
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Participates in the planning, training, and implementation of the project activities with the state teams and other partners
- Supervises the work of other persons (Doctor, Nurse, etc) with close consultation of your line supervisor (PC)
- Supervises daily routine activities in the field (the mobilisation teams) and supporting daily planning of the work where necessary
- Carries out supportive supervision through the time of implementation
- Ensures proper protocol for management of cholera is followed
- Ensures IPC and cholera safety measures are observed on the field
- Participates in the planning and management of waste generated during the activity, ensuring all waste is properly destroyed
- Evaluates the progress of the activities and take appropriate action when necessary
- Attends evening review meetings at state and LGA level and proffer solutions to any challenge/gap noticed in the field
- Ensures ORS posts are in place and a proper management of cholera cases at this level
- Follows up community sensitization and mobilisation
- Ensures that with the support of the field project all logistic part in the management of cholera outbreak is in place and is done (cholera beds, water supply, waste areas, construction of latrines, etc)
Data Collection and Analysis:
- Collaborates with State and LGA data teams to ensure proper data harmonisation and reporting daily.
- Ensures daily, weekly, SITREPs and monthly Data analysis and report according to the management of cholera outbreak .
- Ensures a global analysis of the cholera situation in Borno State and particularly for the JERE/MMC LGAs and support the donor reports
Management of Drugs and Medical Equipment:
- Makes order with collaboration of medical referent of the project to avoid gaps on management of cholera outbreak
- Manages the availability and correct use of drugs, consumable and IPC materials
- Ensures that ALIMA ambulances or ambulances of LGA are properly equipped with necessary medical supplies during the referral of cholera critical patients
- Ensures no drugs or medical consumables get expired in the field
Human Resources Management:
- Identifies possible HR needs in relation to the evolution of activities and participates in the elaboration of job profiles in collaboration with the Project coordinator, Medical coordinator and the administrator
- Participates in the recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, and communication of the staff under his/her responsibility
- Plans on-job training of all Nurses and staff related to its activities
Meetings and Others:
- Participates in the epidemiological reports related to health facilities in the project area
- Participates in meetings with other supervisors
- Performs any other duty as assigned by the organisation through the Medical Coordinator or the Project Coordinator
- Implementation of prevention measures against abuse of power, gender-based and sexual violence
- Participates in training and awareness sessions
- Participate in the Implementation abuse prevention standards
- Ensures that team members complete training and awareness sessions and follow abuse prevention rules
- Helps create and maintain a nurturing and protective environment.
Experiences and Skills
- Essential Medical Degree
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in Medical practice
- Experience in community activities
- Previous experience with ALIMA or other NGO’s in developing countries is desirable
- Experience in management of cholera is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge in Medical management
- Essential computer literacy (Excel, Word, Outlook and Internet)
- Training skills
- Well organised with good negotiation and communication skill
- Ability to work as part of a team, a part of multicultural and multi-disciplinary team, in emergency and under pressure, to manage stress easily and result oriented
- Ability to work in close collaboration with MOH staff
- Can work and create teamwork, flexible, and committed to the assigned position
- Interest in and commitment to ALIMA’s activities, enthusiasm to represent the organisation to others, to travel to different regions of Nigeria.
- English compulsory
- Others are an asset like Hausa, Kanuri.
- Salary: Depending on experience
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee and his/her family
- Evacuation of the employee.
Application Closing Date
23rd November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Documents to be sent: To apply, please send your CV and cover letter online.
- Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.
- ALIMA reserves the right to close the offer before the initial deadline if an application is accepted.
- Only complete applications (CV in PDF format + letter of motivation) will be considered.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.