The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Embedded Technical Advisor – Conflict Prevention
Vacancy No.: 091
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, ECOWAS Peace and Security Architecture and Operations (EPSAO)
GIZ. Solutions that work:
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020) GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
ECOWAS Peace and Security Architecture and Operations (EPSAO):
- Since 2006, GIZ through the commissioning and funding of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) implemented the “Support Programme to the Commission of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)”.
- The Programme was aimed at strengthening the Commission in executing its core mandate of facilitating economic and political integration. GIZ support has had a focus in three principal areas including:
- Organisational Development,
- Trade and Customs, and
- Peace and Security in which the Programme supported the strengthening of sector-specific expertise as well as strategic planning and management structures, capacities and processes.
- Presently, GIZ implements the “ECOWAS Peace and Security Architecture and Operations” (EPSAO) Project with co-funding from the European Union (EU) and the BMZ.
- The main objective of the project is to support ECOWAS in the prevention and management of conflict and security threats in West Africa. There are five strategic areas of focus for the project: the strengthening of ECOWAS mechanisms for the promotion and maintenance of peace, stability and post crisis operations; enabling ECOWAS to manage emerging or existing conflicts; contributing to the creation of a secure and safe post conflict environment; and promoting peaceful, fair, transparent and inclusive electoral processes in West Africa.
- Since September 2022, the BMZ-funded module “Supporting the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Center (KAIPTC)” has been integrated into the EPSAO module and serves to further strengthen the regional training infrastructure.
Responsibilities & Tasks
The Embedded Technical Expert – Conflict Prevention will be located with the ECOWAS Political Affairs Peace and Security (PAPS) Department. The expert will:
- Support efforts towards the mainstreaming of conflict prevention in ECOWAS peace and security initiatives and activities so as to strengthen regional human security
- Actively contribute and engage in discourse around conflict prevention and peacebuilding in the ECOWAS region with view to enhancing ECOWAS position within this discourse
- Support efforts towards advocacy, communication, resource mobilisation, cooperation, monitoring, and evaluation – in line with the ECPF enabling mechanism.
The specific tasks for the Embedded Technical Expert will be as follows:
- Provide strategic and operational guidance and policy advice especially with regards to mainstreaming conflict prevention and peacebuilding and with the aim of enhancing strategic engagement
- Provide overall technical assistance to conflict prevention programming and activities support effective coordination with other implementing organizations and donor agencies working towards enhancing conflict prevention processes in West africa
- Support conceptualization and design of programmes and activities around conflict prevention and in line with ECOWAS Vision 2050, African Union Vision 2063, and the Sustainable Development Goals (5, 17)
- Provide context analysis and technical briefs and research, develop, and deliver presentations, prepare various forms of documentation (e.g., background papers, knowledge products and others) as may be required
- Promote learning and knowledge management including through lessons learned and best practices processes and contribute to sharing of ECOWAS experience in the area of conflict prevention.
- Ensure project activities are effectively implemented, monitored, and achieve intended results
- Provide support for development of/ adjustments to operational plans and budgets and ensure in line implementation
- Preparing contract documents (terms of reference, budget calculations etc.), and monitoring of contracts (consultancy deliverables, timeframes etc.)
- Ensure consistent implementation of GIZ and EU guidelines
- Support in the provision of administrative and logistical support for activity implementation.
Other duties/additional tasks:
- Perform other work-related duties as required
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or other relevant fields of study
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in a similar position
- Experience managing complex interventions
- Experience working for an international organisation will be highly desirable
- A good understanding of the African peace and security landscape and especially the ECOWAS region with an established network
Desired additional qualifications, competencies, and experiences:
- Good understanding and experience in conflict prevention/resolution/peacebuilding issues
- A good understanding of African/ECOWAS institutional structures and processes especially as it relates to conflict prevention
- Ability to contribute to policy formulation and support identification and design of programmatic interventions
- Ability to work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and highly political context
- Excellent diplomacy and persuasion skills with a high sense of integrity and transparency
- High degree of motivation and demonstrable ability to take initiative and proactively advise stakeholders
- Good knowledge and understanding of results-based planning, monitoring, and reporting
- Impeccable writing, reporting and presentation skills
- Strong organisational and project management skills
- Spoken and written language skills in English and/or French is required (Portuguese language is an added advantage)
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS region and established contacts to relevant actors is regarded as an asset.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4
Application Closing Date
9th November, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: [email protected]
using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please include vacancy no. 091 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity.
- All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race, and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.