UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is recruiting a Drupal Development and Support Officer within the Digital Solutions Unit, Digital Service in the Division of External Relations.
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Drupal Development and Support Officer
Duty Station: Panama City, Panama
Duration: 01/09/2022 (or as soon as possible) to 31/12/2022
Contract Type: UNOPS International Specialist, Level IICA – 2 (or equivalent Local Specialist Level LICA-10)
Closing date: 01 August 2022
The Digital Solutions Unit sits under Digital Service within the Division of External Relations (DER) and assists services within DER and the wider organization. This position will work with the existing Digital Solutions Development team at HQ and in the regional offices to provide support for websites supporting the global Organization’s communication and fundraising strategies. The Digital Solutions Unit is coordinating a large-scale project to migrate existing public websites under a common Drupal foundation. This position will require developing, monitoring and supporting websites, troubleshooting incidents and communicating with internal stakeholders.
This role is expected to increase UNHCR’s capacity to deliver and support websites required by the multiple internal stakeholders. The incumbent will be joining the team of web developers to support the existing portfolio of websites, and act as a first point of contact for stakeholders requiring new digital solutions to support their business.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop Drupal websites following functional specifications, Agile methodology, Drupal best practices and UNHCR web standards
- Work closely and collaborate with other project team members in DES including designers, UX specialists, Project managers, web analytics specialists and web developers
- Optimize web applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Continuously improve existing websites
- Produce and maintain technical documentation
- Act as a first point of contact for regional requests made to the Digital Solutions Unit
- Streamline, record, evaluate, dispatch requests received from internal stakeholders
- Monitor and provide support on live Drupal applications
- Troubleshoot, escalate or fix incidents, communicate with stakeholders on incidents resolution
- Document incidents and maintain a knowledge base for the support of the websites’ portfolio
- Stay aware of security threats and fix/report any identified vulnerabilities
- Provide support on existing websites, troubleshoot, analyze and fix software issues
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- High quality websites complying with functional specifications and UNHCR standards
- Deliver high quality first level of support, and efficient tracking of open issues
- Maintain the Digital Solutions technical documentation and Knowledge base
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education):
- Possess Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Management of Information Systems, Communications, Social Sciences or related field
- Minimum of 6 relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree, including the migration of content to Drupal websites.
- Knowledge of agile methodology, websites development best practices and standards
- Knowledge of industry-standard web development tools
- Knowledge of frontend development technologies including bootstrap, jQuery
- Good understanding of SEO principles, UX/UI design principles
- Good understanding of the CI-CD concepts and code versioning tools including git/GitHub
- Knowledge of basic web security including security audits and OWASP vulnerabilities
- Eye for design and attention to details
- Experience working for a UN agency or similar international humanitarian organization.
- Professionalism – Good knowledge of the field of expertise with good analytical skills, ability to understand complex problems and to deliver appropriate solutions.
- Communication – Good spoken and written communication skills, including the ability to liaise with technical staff and present information in a clear and concise style.
- Teamwork – Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Planning and Organizing – Ability to plan projects and activities, work to tight deadlines, and manage conflicting priorities.
- User Orientation – Ability to understand users’ needs and to customize services and products accordingly, in order to provide user-friendly and ergonomic solutions that meet user requirements.
- Technological Awareness – Good knowledge in the field of web development and user experience. Good understanding of current online/digital technology (required)
- Commitment to Continuous Learning – Quick learner who is self-motivated, has a positive approach and eager to grow their capabilities. Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the field of expertise (required)
- Strong analytical, conceptual and problem-solving abilities (required)
- Good organisational and project management skills (desired)
- Ability to prioritise and manage multiple projects simultaneously (desired)
- Strong writing skills and technological literacy and ability to use a wide range of web related applications (required)
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written (required)
- Working knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
The successful candidate will be based in UNHCR Panama City, Panama.
How to apply
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit https://bit.ly/3O8OQoy
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Closing date of receipt of application: 01 August 2022