The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Job Identification: 4353
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Practice Area: Effectiveness
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Languages Required: English
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Logistics Associate, the Driver will provide reliable and safe driving services ensuring to UNDP Resident Representative (RR) and other high-ranking UN Officials and visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, high sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues.
- The Driver will demonstrate a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Upon request to the supervisor, the driver can also be required to provide driving services to the Operations and Programme staff in the CO., consultants and experts and UN staff on mission.
Summary of Key Functions
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents / supplies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by:
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Support hospitality and orientation support of personnel and other individual, especially of new staff and visitors and guests of the Project Support Unit and the Country Office, as required .
- Support the project team by providing administrative and clerical support as requested, including in preparing, copying, collating, binding, filing and distributing documents, mail and notifications, as requested.
- Provide logistical and administrative support during events and meetings, as required .
- Provide any other clerical support to the office as may be required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Fluency in English.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements .
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Customer Satisfaction / Client Management:
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs;
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy;
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests;
- Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner;
- Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate.
- Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity.
Digital Awareness and Literacy:
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
Negotiation and Influence
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations.
Application Closing Date
15th July, 2022 (01:31 PM).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement.
- We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.