The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world.
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Driving
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organisations. With over 6,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background Information – Country Specific
The Nigeria Duty Stations are managed by the Nigeria Country Office based in Abuja, Nigeria.
Nigeria is considered a key player in the West African region, with an estimated population of 200 million and accounts for about 47% of the total population of West Africa. Nigeria is considered a High Priority Country for UNOPS GMCO; being a fragile country with a complex development profile and possessing a high risk of humanitarian emergencies and disasters. Likewise with high donor interest and demand for implementation support, Nigeria is viewed as a country in which UNOPS can add value and scale-up efforts by its partners to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly the Government of Nigeria.
The last donor-funded project implemented by UNOPS ended in June 2018. The office was reopened in April 2019 and high-level efforts are ongoing to secure donor funded projects. Our objective for 2021 is to consolidate the implementation of our Strategy 2018-2021 – to become Known, Recognized and a Resource for our development partners on the ground, delivering on our mandate of infrastructure, procurement and project management.
Building on our global experience successfully delivering projects in complex operating environments, a healthy pipeline of engagements are at various stages of discussion with our priority partners including international financial institutions, UN agencies, bilateral and multilateral donors focusing on the North East region. The North-East region of Nigeria (NE) is currently in a complex protracted crisis with considerable humanitarian and developmental needs along with extensive damages to social and physical infrastructure. Likewise, the unanticipated COVID-19 pandemic has further impaired the already fragile health system.
The capacity of the entire country’s health system to address the possible impact of the pandemic remains limited. Critical resources such as trained health workers and medical supplies are being diverted to respond to the pandemic, thus leaving other essential services heavily under-resourced and dysfunctional
Background Information – Job Specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the Support Services Associate or Administration Officer, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services for the transport of authorized personnel. He/She has a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Functions/Key Results Expected
Within limits of delegated authority and depending on location, a Driver at this level may be responsible for the following duties:
Summary of functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services including under harsh and difficult driving conditions outside Abuja
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Maintenance of required documents/supplies
- Immediate action in case of accident
1. Provides reliable and secure driving services by a) driving vehicles safely for the transport of authorized personnel and, in the case of construction (Infrastructure) for the transport of logistics and/or project equipment etc; b) collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items; and c) meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required.
2. Ensures proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3. Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tyres, etc.; performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean.
4. Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
5. Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall Multi Country Office efficiency in Project implementation, particularly the ones related to works implementation. Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented information, its dissemination, timely and appropriate delivery of works to ensure client satisfaction and maintains high staff morale. It enhances credibility of UNOPS as an effective and efficient organization in the operational capability for the infrastructure sector in remote contexts.
Expected results are:
- Defensive driving
- Adherence to Health and Safety regulation on various sites
- Greater reliance on standards and guidelines vehicular regulations and guidelines in place and aligned with UNOPS
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required.
- Diploma or certification in administration-related subjects or business administration would be an asset.
- A driver training certification with a valid driver’s license is required.
B. Work Experience
- 2 years of driving experience is required at the national level
- Safe driving record, knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair is required
- Experience in computer/office productivity software will be an asset.
C. Language Requirements
- Full working knowledge of English language is required.
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA 2/ ICS 2
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance’.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- Abuja (Nigeria) is a family duty station
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Africa Region supports UNOPS country offices in the region, providing financial oversight of projects, procuring goods and services and managing human resources.
AFR helps ensure that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between projects across the entire region.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNOPS on jobs.unops.org to apply