UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is recruiting a Digital Product Design Officer within the Digital Service in the Division of External Relations.
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Digital Product Design Officer
Duty Station: Copenhagen Denmark
Duration: as soon as possible to 31/12/2022
Contract Type: UNOPS International Specialist, Level IICA – 2 (or equivalent Local Specialist Level LICA-10)
Closing date: 02 October 2022 midnight CEST
This role sits in the Digital Service of DER. It is responsible for delivering the creative production of digital products including the visual design oversight of websites, graphics, applications and design systems. Most importantly this includes UNHCR.org, UNHCR Help, national office country sites and other UNHCR flagship digital products.
This is a specialized visual design post requiring strong experience in digital product design, systems and user experience. The candidate must have an extensive full-stack design experience with ability and knowledge across the entire design process, from ideation and concepting to releasing final products over multiple channels.
This core function is critical to the success of the UNHCR global digital presence and will be responsible for ensuring high-quality visual impact for UNHCR communication products. The post is supervised by the Senior Digital Design Officer.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Senior Digital Design Officer, the individual contractor will support in the following ways:
- Creation of the visual direction for new and existing digital products
- Creation of user-friendly and efficient tools and systems for empowering creative visual design within UNHCR
- Work with user insights and research to shape product experience (UX) and deliver new and improved experiences that address real user needs.
- Create user journeys, design concepts and wireframes for new products and features for web and mobile products.
- Design hi-fidelity interfaces, assets, and interactive prototypes, to empower users and content administrators, based on diverse requirements.
- Collaborate closely with the internal and external development and UX teams, delivering clear and clean designs and oversee the implementation to define the best solution.
- Act as a facilitator during collaborative design efforts for designers as well as other team members.
- Present ideas and designs and explain rationale to senior stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain and contribute to shared design guidelines, standards and procedures in line with UNHCR brand guidelines.
- Keep up-to-date on best practices, trends, data and insights.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education):
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (ex. Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Design for Social Impact/Social Innovation)
- Minimum of 6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree in graphic design, branding and layout, information design and information architecture, visual communications, media design, system design or related – and proven experience in translating complex ideas into clear visuals.
- Full-stack design experience, with expert abilities and knowledge across the entire design process, from ideation and conceptualization to releasing final products.
- Strong knowledge of how design impacts on user experience across digital channels and devices.
- Strong design portfolio across a variety of projects and devices.
- Proven skills in digital product and web design.
- Strong skills in UI design and UI tools such as Sketch, Figma or Adobe XD.
- Proven skills in image manipulation, print production and illustration software from the Adobe Creative Cloud suite of products
- Strong understanding of best practices for interface and interaction design patterns on both mobile and web platforms
- Knowledge of front-end development tools and techniques and the design potential they bring.
- Knowledge of designing for accessibility and inclusion.
- Experience with designing digital products for large-scale NGOs.
- Experience in working in cross-functional Agile teams
- Demonstrable experience in producing digital brand guidelines and design systems.
- Strong diplomatic skills, highly developed judgment, understanding of UNHCR’s external relationships, and ability to discern when the organization’s credibility is at stake.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
The successful candidate will be based in UNHCR Copenhagen, Denmark.
How to apply
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit https://bit.ly/3Bwhpbj
This vacancy is open both for applicants residing in Denmark and for those residents of other countries. The remuneration level and the applicable entitlements and benefits may be different based on the residence of the most suitable selected candidate.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Closing date of receipt of application: 02 October 2022 midnight CEST