The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Database Administrator
Job Requisition ID: R2397
Job Type: Full time
- The Database Administrator (DBA) is responsible for providing database management, operations, and services to the organization, globally, to support all our platforms.
- She/he will coordinate the design, development, and deployment of a data warehouse for Management Sciences for Health (MSH).
- They will work closely with other individuals to identify MSH and project information needs from the data warehouse to ensure that business intelligence functionality supports these requirements.
- In addition, the DBA may be asked to provide technical support for other projects, based on their skills and experience.
Consolidation and Analysis of Existing Databases (30%):
- Create a list of all databases associated with platforms
- Identify owners for each database (vendor, MSH office, center, etc.)
- Analyze database specifications, backup files, indexes, etc., and determine how performance can be improved
- Determine where these databases should be hosted
- Determine access/account structures and permissions
Guidelines, Standards, and Processes (20%):
- Define and document database guidelines, standards, and processes
- Document backup and recovery, mirroring, and replication guidelines
- Document account/permission structures for each database
- Respond to technical queries as needed
- Works closely with supporting network, server, and disk storage teams to facilitate managed balanced systems utilizing mirroring and availability groups as necessary
- Proactively develop and implement policies and procedures to improve the overall effectiveness and integrity of the company’s databases and platforms
Data Warehousing (15%):
- Perform technical assessments and recommend design/process changes for operationalizing the data warehousing and business intelligence infrastructure
- Train users in analytical processing of data warehouse information in line with business information requirements.
- Design, implement and document routine, periodic, and emergency data warehouse maintenance plans including backup, disaster recovery, fail-safe strategies, scale-up plans, optimization, security, and data warehouse administration.
- Actively participate in the design and implementation of transition plans for data warehouse operations, maintenance, and user support.
- Execute special projects or other related duties as may be assigned from time to time, depending on experience and skills.
Technical Support (25%):
- Write SQL Queries, Stored Procedures to support product development as needed
- Provide technical support as needed
- Participate in IS and MSH meetings to provide regular status updates and keep up to date with organization and other group activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
- At least 6 six years of relevant experience with physical and logical database design, development, implementation, monitoring and administration of large SQL environments, including replication and security of databases.
- Extensive experience with MS SQL Server (tables, triggers, unions, joins, complex queries, and stored procedures) and MySQL (must be able to write high-quality SQL scripts
Knowledge and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of RDBMS architecture and data warehousing concepts
- Excellent understanding of database installation, configuration, partitioning, performance tuning, analysis, and optimization of databases
- Must be able to manage and maintain database account, permissions, and database security at all levels
- High experience of testing and implementing backup and recovery of databases
- Problem-solving skills (integrity issues, performance issues, blocking issues, deadlock issues, replication issues, security issues, and performance issues)
- Proven experience using database management tools such as SQL Management Studio, Query Analyzer, Profiler, and Performance Monitor, to enhance monitoring, tracing, performance tuning, and clustering
- Ability to follow and enforce change management processes within production environments
- Preferred experience using Power BI or other data visualization tools. Ability to scope work and accurately and estimate time, resources and budget needed for its completion
- Ability to manage our platforms vendors in addressing all database tasks
- Strong written and oral skills to communicate plans, status, issues, risks, and mitigations to team and management staff
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, working across multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong team player and ability to foster collaboration with multidisciplinary teams while contributing to a positive work environment
- Capable of quickly understanding and adapting to new business situations
- Dedicated to take independent, appropriate action to resolve complex problems with limited supervision
- Experience/Competency in performing Microsoft and Windows Administration tasks a plus
- Fluent in French, written and spoken is a plus
- 10% travel may be required
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online