Position Title: Data Analyst
Duty Station: Goma, Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 16 November 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (DTM), the successful candidate will be responsible for providing coordination and technical support for all aspects of Information Management requirements for the implementation of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), including the analysis and publication of DTM products and dashboards.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) is IOM’s main operational tool to gather and analyze data in order to disseminate critical multi-layered information on the mobility, vulnerabilities, and needs of displaced and mobile populations. The DTM enables decision-makers and responders to provide these populations displaced with better context-specific assistance.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the plan, design and implementation of the integrated mechanisms for information management across all DTM activities, data collection and analysis initiatives, and ensure accurate and reliable data is collected, stored and disseminated in a timely manner.
- Contribute technical inputs for the strengthening and enhancing the analysis and interpretation of displacement and mobility data to support regular internal and external updates on human mobility trends, changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility in DRC
- Reinforce mechanisms to manage and share knowledge within and outside IOM, improve the use of existing platforms and suggest new and innovative ways of dissemination.
- Coordinate the development and enhancement of the methodology and tools for data collection as per Implementing Partners’ needs and DTM requirements.
- Provide support to DTM capacity building initiatives, contribute to the development of training packages, guidelines and capacity building tools for internal and external use, such as training materials and sessions on the deployment, use, operation, and maintenance of databases and data collection systems for program staff, as well as government authorities and Implementing Partners, as necessary.
- Act as a main Focal Point on discussions related to ethics/data protection and support the development of necessary tools and guidance.
- Coordinate closely with all relevant stakeholders regarding DTM data collection methodology and analysis, and check that IOM data are used and useful for all.
- Support, in close coordination with the DTM unit in the Regional Office for Southern Africa in Pretoria, the production of regional reports on human mobility in the Southern Africa region.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters degree in Business Administration, International Relations, Political Science, Communications, Information Management, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics , or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in supervision and coordination of humanitarian assessments, Information Management, especially Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM);
- Experience working in international organizations, humanitarian community, and familiarity with the humanitarian reform and cluster approach;
- Experience in providing training to the data collectors working in camps and host communities;
- Working experience with mobile data collection tools such as KOBO or ODK is desirable;
- Working experience in the region is an asset.
- Ability and experience using two or more of Relational Database Management Systems such as MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle are a distinct advantage;
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS, R, SQL and/or Adobe Creative Suite is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 16 November 2022.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 03.11.2022 to 16.11.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 214 Data Analyst (P2) Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo (57693180) Released
Posting: Posting NC57693181 (57693181) Released