Project Context and Scope:
IOM in South Sudan has a range of programming centered around three broad areas: humanitarian coordination and support; humanitarian response and resilience; and peacebuilding, transition, and development. Humanitarian coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of WASH and Shelter and NFI core-pipelines, humanitarian hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and resilience includes CCCM, WASH, Shelter & NFI, health, protection, gender equality and inclusion, mental health and psychosocial support, and the management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under peacebuilding, transition, and development, IOM South Sudan implements programming on housing, land and property issues, transition and recovery, transhumance conflict prevention, community-based violence reduction, community development and, migration management.
Under the overall direction of the IOM Chief of Mission in South Sudan, the direct supervision of Transition and Recovery Coordinator, and working closely with the other programmatic units, the consultant will support the implementation of IOMs customary law review programme.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
Under the direct supervision of the Transition and Recovery Unit Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will support strengthening and capacity building of customary law institutions strengthening the traditional justice systems in regions across South Sudan as part of rehabilitating the returning population, mitigating their conflicts and creating peaceful environment as well as creating peaceful co-existence.
Category B Consultants: Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment
Outcome 1: Review of Local Government act and land and resettlements act with key stakeholders
Outcome 1: Customary Law validation workshops to sensitize councils and courts in Yei, Lainya, Morobo, Terekeka and Kajo Keji
Outcome 2: Customary Law review, validation and codification for Juba, Jur River, Rubkona and Raja counties.
Detailed activity list provided will be agreed with the selected candidate.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
The outputs will be reviewed by Programme Coordinator and any feedback provided directly to consultant.
Education, Experience, and/or skills required
- Degree in law from an accredited academic institution with at least 15 years of relevant experience in customary law reviews & research.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in South Sudan /Abyei/CES in areas of customary laws review including gender sensitivity.
- Excellent knowledge of international humanitarian principles and the international legislative framework on human rights.
- Familiarity with participatory methodologies for conducting community processes.
- Ability to manage community dynamics.
- Good understanding and application of conflict-sensitive communication.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent community facilitation and coordination skills.
- Excellent documentation and analysis skills.
- Familiar with gender and conflict sensitivity to community-based review processes.
- Knowledge of the South Sudanese legislative framework is an advantage
- Travel required Travel to field locations on an ad hoc basis.
- Competencies Values
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae and a motivation letter outlining relevant experience and skills to [email protected] by 01.02.2023, indicating in the subject of the e‐mail “Customary Law Consultant” National/Local Consultant).