Position Title: Consultant – Website Design for the Migration Network Hub
Duty Station: Homebased
Classification: Consultant, Grade Other
Type of Appointment: Consultant, three months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 28 September 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Project Context and Scope
The Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM), agreed in 2018, led to the development of the United Nations Network on Migration (Network). The Network, consisting of various partners within and outside the UN system, provides effective, timely and coordinated system-wide support to Member States for the implementation, follow-up and review of the GCM. In this regard, the “Migration Network Hub” (Hub) was established on the Network website as a virtual “meeting space” and knowledge repository for governments, stakeholders and experts to support them to implement the GCM. The Hub is managed by the IOM Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC) in Berlin, in close coordination with the UN Network on Migration secretariat, hosted at IOM Headquarters in Geneva.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
The Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Knowledge Management Coordinator for the Migration Network Hub at IOM-GMDAC, Berlin, and in close collaboration with the Senior Programme Manager of the EU-UN Migration Capacity Building Programme in the Secretariat of the UN Network on Migration, based at IOM Headquarters.
The Consultant will provide web designs for new web developments and improvements to the Migration Network Hub in consultation with the team. Discuss needs and requirements with the Hub team, provide drafts for review and revise based on feedback and testing with user group. They will ensure that all designs are in line with the UN Network on Migration’s branding and branding guidelines and the guidelines concerning the use of maps in IOM and UN official documents and communication channels, including websites.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Tasks to be performed under this contract
- Consult with the Hub team and the Network secretariat – particularly the web developer – to understand the web design needs for the upcoming new developments and enhancements.
- Provide draft web designs on a rolling basis, as required, for feedback from the Hub team and Network secretariat, including for the following sections:
- User pages: including user registration form, user profile page, user-submitted content upload form, user help page and events calendar design
- Hub ‘key features’ sections and websites relevant webpages: improved page layout and design for the practices dashboard, pledges dashboard, library, discussion spaces, experts database and training and guidance section
- Hub new developments: including an interactive world map, events calendar and taxonomy page design
- Perform user testing with a small group of selected Hub users and adjust designs based onthe feedback received.
- Provide final web designs for implementation.
- Any other tasks as required.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- Designs submitted on time.
- Comments and feedback for user-testing incorporated.
- Designs approved by Sr. Knowledge Management Coordinator, Sr Programme Manager, and Sr. Strategic Communications Coordinator.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Graphic Design, Web Design or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum four years of experience (two years Master’s degree holders) in graphic design, web design and producing and designing visual content, preferably within an international context, and within the UN system an asset;
- Proven experience providing designs for interactive discussion platforms or content management systems, preferably with international or non-profit organizations and/or within the UN system an asset;
- Experience working with a content management system is required, Drupal is preferred.
- Familiarity with IOM and the Global Compact for Migration and the UN Network on Migration is desirable;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Design software: Illustrator, inDesign or Photoshop;
- Sound understanding of typography, layout, colour, and user-centered design is required;
- Proven ability to think analytically and creatively to design engaging visual content to facilitate user interaction is required;
- Self-motivation and ability to take initiative, prioritize, and work well in a fast-paced environment with team members in multiple locations globally is required.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this consultancy, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
- Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via HERE, PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 September 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CON 2022 30 Consultant – Website Design for the Migration Network Hub – Homebased
Posting: Posting NC57752311 (57752311) Released