Context and Core Functions / Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Peacebuilding and Stabilization Division (PSD) in Iraq and the direct supervision of the Peacebuilding & Stabilization Program Officer and in coordination with the PSD Strategic Communication Officer , the incumbent will be responsible for i) conducting an initial mapping of the media landscape in West-Anbar, including delivery of a background paper aims at understanding the media perceptions on the return process .ii) the primary sources of media and communication used at the community-level within western Anbar; ii) the current media messages related to Al-Hol returnees including dominant narratives and concerns; iii) understanding of the current return process at the local level; iv) identification of the existing media capacities to report objectively on the return process; and v) develop an operational communication plan to empower positive existing local media resources. They will work in close coordination with the field staff and other international officers. They will assist the Stabilization Officer in planning, developing, and implementing the communication activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Based on a work plan to be agreed upon with the Program Officer at the beginning of the consultancy:
- Draft analysis/mapping and a comprehensive background paper on the media landscape in West Anbar. This will entail conducting a thorough review of key messages within the media relevant returnees from Northeast Syria and Iraq, including those with perceived affiliation with violent extremist groups, outlining media understanding and perceptions of the overall return process, primary media systems in West Anbar, and media capacities, and limitations, to objective reporting. As a part of this analysis, the consultant will produce an overview of narratives around the abovementioned both online and offline, including conducting an actor mapping, identifying individuals and media organizations relevant to reintegration in west Anbar.
- Develop an operational communication plan that outlines opportunities to support community reintegration interventions in West Anbar. The communication plan includes suggested key messages that could resonate within communities based on the initial mapping exercise, alongside information streams based on the conducted analysis that speaks to the challenges and issues related to reintegration in western Anbar. The plan should also outline primary partners that operate in the media landscape alongside their competencies, key social/traditional media venues that could be targeted and engaged, information gaps and needs in western Anbar, and false narratives/misinformation that are currently circulating. These include proactive areas of work that contribute to the overall understanding and information of the target community.
- Producing three short videos that support the delivery of targeted, objective and clear information on the return and reintegration process. Videos should be shaped around the findings identified during the draft analysis and mapping completed under deliverable 1. The videos should be focused on raising the awareness of both the host community and the returnees of the importance of the reintegration process, the challenges of the reintegration process, and humanizing narratives.
- Based on the capacity issues identified in deliverable one, deliver storytelling, media coverage and citizen journalism training for identified local media and civil society organizations to provide them with fundamental media tools to boost and promote objective media content related to the return and reintegration process.
- Design and implement a MEAL system to monitor and evaluate the results and outcomes of IOM communication interventions in West-Anbar that relate to the operational communication field plan.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results/Outputs
- One Media Analysis/Mapping Background Paper on Media in Anbar Governorate is delivered | Target: Yes
- Develop an operational communication field plan to support community reintegration interventions in West Anbar. | Target: Yes
- Producing three short videos that support the delivery of targeted, objective and clear information on the return and reintegration process.
- Deliver 1 storytelling, media coverage and citizen journalism training for the local media and civil society organizations
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education & Experience/Skills
- Seven years of working experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or five years of working experience with a Master’s degree;
- Demonstrate experience in designing and implementing field communication and/or media outreach plans in support of overall division goals;
- Demonstrate experience in developing content that clearly communicates social reintegration ideas for media, web, print production, and audio-visual productions;
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable;
- Experience with media and public relations or related field is required;
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian context in relevant locations.
- Fluency in English language is required.
- Working knowledge in Arabic language is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. – Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct. – Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. – Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes. – Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. – Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. – Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.