IOM Iraq, through its various programme units, implements a wide variety of activities related to post-conflict recovery and durable solutions in Iraq. The Transition and Recovery Division works to remove the initial obstacles to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) return and reintegration in Iraq’s post-conflict areas and lay the foundation for longer-term recovery, economic development and reconstruction in general. RRU’s work areas include policy and coordination, including oversight of IOM’s leadership role in Iraq Durable Solutions coordination mechanisms; data including research and the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM); and operational activities such as housing and infrastructure reconstruction, livelihoods, cash for work and community engagement, in addition to direct support in facilitating voluntary returns for IDPs who have faced protracted displacement.
In order to measure the impact of its programs on the progress towards the achievement of Durable solutions for families supported and their communities, IOM is seeking a consultant with substantial Durable Solutions or Recovery assessment and analysis experience to conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis of the available data on the experiences of families and communities supported through IOM Durable Solutions interventions.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission for IOM in Iraq and overall supervision of the Head, Transition and Recovery Division, and the direct supervision of the Durable Solutions Program Coordinator, the consultant will be responsible for the analysis and reporting of data related to the monitoring of progress towards durable solutions.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Responsibilities (Approximately 10 working days total every month):
- Conduct research and integrate contextual analysis, displacement and recovery-related information pertinent to the target areas and communities, including major historical or political events which have affected the displacement and reintegration developments in the area, including but not limited to survey mapping, displacement and returns trends, protection environment and conflict analysis.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative primary data analysis and generate tables, charts, and explanatory narrative text, with clear disaggregation of perspectives and experiences based on gender and displacement status. IOM will provide the consultant with access to data, gathered through the Reintegration monitoring data collection process.
- Identify gaps and challenges in data collection and provide guidance on toosl improvement and data collection methodologies.
- Develop programmatic recommendations to enhance the effectiveness of IOM’s Durable Solutions programming.
- Preparation of narrative reports and summaries presenting analysis of findings from Reintegration monitoring, combined with other relevant sources of information on displacement and return trends in the area, social dynamics and programmatic responses.
- Prepare and deliver presentations on findings from the monitoring to IOM and other stakeholders, as requested.
Deliverables on monthly basis:
- Data cleaning, quality control and analysis of household surveys
- One report of 10-15 pages, including visualization of data through charts and other tools – every two months;
- One summary brief;
- Powerpoint (or other software) presentation with key findings
- Structured data set comprising of cleaned and complete data from the surveys.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- Planning and timelines for work
- Satisfactory completion of TOR tasks
- Quality of contents, details, and writings of the report/brief.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, International Relations, Law and a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
Experience & Skills
- Proven experience in design and implementation of assessments, field-based research and analysis, protection monitoring, programmatic impact monitoring.
- Substantial knowledge of non-profit work including data collection and data analysis in post-conflict settings;
- Knowledge of Durable Solutions Principles, international standards and Frameworks, Guiding Principles on Internal Displacement;
- Proven experience of research and assessments on displacement and durable solutions;
- Knowledge and experience of Durable Solutions programming is desirable;
- Excellent analytical, communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Familiarity with and/or experience in Iraq or in other internal displacement contexts in the Middle East is an asset;
- Familiarity with and/or experience in post-conflict environments is an asset;
- Fluency in English language is required.
- Working knowledge in Arabic language is an advantage.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- (optional depending on position level)
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.