Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Conflict Analysis Consultant (Digital Listening)
- Search for Common Ground seeks a professional, motivated, and creative Conflict Analysis Consultant (Digital Listening) with google analytics skills who will support digital listening functions.
- The Conflict Analysis Consultant (Digital listening) will support scanning of the digital information ecosystem in collaboration with Search’s National Conflict Analyst.
- The successful candidate will be required to develop and implement a national digital listening strategy and action plan across Search’s Projects with thematic focus on Farmer-herder conflicts, Freedom of Religion and Beliefs,Rumor, hate speech and Misinformation on Elections, Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE) and Promoting Disengagement, Disassociation, Reintegration, and Reconciliation (DDRR) and other digital listening related functions across Nigeria Country Program.
- S/he will be required to develop Lexicons which are collection of words within the thematic areas listed above and thereafter monitor and document social media channels for mentions and conversations of interest across the various thematic areas.
- The Conflict Analysis Consultant (digital listening) will also work closely with the National Conflict Analyst to analyze findings from real time tracking of the information ecosystem leading to the production of regular snapshots and reports that synthesizes rumors, misinformation and hate speeches tracked across multiple online and offline sources of data, identify signals and trends, describe current narratives, and provide recommendations and guidance in addressing them.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Collaborate in the development of a national social listening tool and backend dashboard for tracking of rumor, hate speeches and misinformation across relevant thematic areas.
- Development and subsequent update of lexicons to track hate speech across thematic areas listed above.
- Carry out real time tracking of rumors, hate speech and misinformation across online using an online listening software and across offline platforms
- Track online and offline narratives and conversations that may impact Search’s programs across the listed thematic areas.
- Produce regular briefs that synthesize multiple online and offline sources of data, identify signals and trends, describe current narratives, and provide recommendations and guidance.
- Participate in stakeholder forums aimed at establishing appropriate strategies and mechanisms to manage rumors and effectively respond to misinformation and disinformation.
- Operationalize the centralized EWER system and engage community networks to carefully monitor indicators of rising dispute/conflict and measures taken to mitigate the crises from escalating
- Working closely with other projects with EWER components to support and also strengthen the EWER platform
- Collaborate with the National Policy and Conflict Analyst, work closely with other Project Teams with EWER components to support and also strengthen the EWER platform
- Work with project teams to proffer alternative messages in response to tracked trends
- Identify online influencers for potential engagement to amplify correct information on findings from digital listening across the digital information ecosystem.
- Document the lessons learnt and best practices in social media monitoring and rumor management undertaken and develop the backend data.
Timeframe and Location:
- The consultancy will hold from August to October 2022 in the Abuja office.
Qualification & Requirements
- University Degree or equivalent experience in Statistics, Communications, Marketing, Data Science and/or Knowledge Management. Training in one of these several Social Media and/or Data Science technical competencies: Social media management, Digital listening/monitoring, Business Analytics
- Demonstrable knowledge of social media engagement , Digital listening/monitoring and Google analytics
- At least 2 years of proven experience in social media monitoring and analysis and/or digital listening experience in at least one of the following fields is a must: social cohesion, hate speech, conflict analysis, inter-group dynamics, collective action, human rights, peacebuilding;
- Previous experience with social media management, trend monitoring, and influencing
- Experience in the design and implementation of interventions on rumor management/misinformation and Hate speech.
- Excellent writing and data analysis skills, planning and coordination skills, with proven ability to work independently.
- Fluency in Hausa and English is required, with strong communication and public speaking skills.
- Data Analysis
- Social media Engagement.
- Relating & Networking: Excellent team player, able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Promoting, practicing and helping others value and respect diversity of gender, culture, opinions, values, perspectives, ideas, skills, expertise, knowledge and experiences.
- Capable of working effectively under stress, on multiple assignments simultaneously and adapting to changing demands.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
To apply, interested candidates (individuals or teams) are requested to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- A detailed technical proposal, together with a financial proposal for the completion of the aforementioned deliverables and a short cover letter.
- Samples of similar and past work done.
- Only two documents can be submitted, so the technical and financial proposals must be combined, along with the short cover letter.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.