Position Title: Compliance Officer
Duty Station: Erbil, Iraq
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 21 September 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall administrative supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Resources Management in Erbil, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for ensuring the highest efficiency in strengthening internal controls and compliance with financial regulations and rules through effective financial resources management and the provision of accurate, thoroughly researched and documented financial information, effective delivery of financial services, transparent utilization and management of financial resources.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide first-line support, guidance, and training in IOM Iraq, with respect to IOM’s policies, processes and procedures relating to organizational support functions including but not limited to finance and compliance, human resources, procurement and logistics.
- In line with the IOM policy on Fraud Awareness and Prevention Guidelines (IN/70), implement anti-fraud measures to safeguard the organization from processes and procedures that may lead to corrupt practices. Ensure close coordination with relevant units in the mission, Regional Office and Headquarters for development of systems and tools to be implemented and ensure that these systems and tools are aligned to IOM policies, rules and regulations. Liaise with Information Management Unit (IMU) to develop tools/module in the Portal.
- Provide leadership and supervision to the Compliance Unit; set objectives, review processes and procedures, strategize and formulate risk mitigation measures for the RMU unit.
- Recommend mechanisms to prevent fraud and corruption. Follow up on audit reports as impacting Compliance Unit, including on the implementation of audit recommendations. Report all concerns and issues related to non-compliance of IOM policies, rules and regulations immediately to the direct supervisor.
- Coordinate with the RMOs to ensure quality and timely response to Projects Balance Review(PBR) and proper follow-up on any comments received from Regional Accounting Support.
- In coordination with the Head of Resources Management, recommend mechanisms to prevent fraud and corruption among Implementing partners (IPs). Follow up on oversight reports and report all IP concerns and issues related to non-compliance of IOM policies, rules and regulations immediately.
- To coordinate with the Finance Officer on long standing items and proper action to clear those balances.be the focal point for IOM Iraq on Regional Accounting Support for the Periodic Checklist Review.
- Conduct regular spot-checks of documents to make sure that documents are according to IOM rules and regulations.
- Ensure the quality of the responses on Compliance Control Self-Assessment Tool (CCSAT) of IOM Iraq for MENA region and coordinate with all relevant departments to timely response and clearance of any issues.
- Review and make recommendation to the Head of Resources Management on the internal control mechanism of IOM Iraq.
- Review of PRISM roles of all IOM Iraq staff. Advise on any conflicting roles and make recommendations.
- Report immediately to the Head of Resources Management all concerns and issues related to programs that are non-compliant with IOM policies, rules and regulations.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience;
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience supervising the development and implementation of administrative control procedures, coordinating external auditing exercise;
- Experience in management, humanitarian and complex project implementation, liaison with governments and international agencies is an advantage;
- Experience in performing or coordinating risk assessments for (UN Agencies, International Organizations, and International specialized NGOs;
- Experience at an international level with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organizations, and International specialized NGOs) and in complex humanitarian operations;
- Previous experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the UN is essential; and,
- Experience in the Region an advantage.
- Excellent writing, communication and negotiation skills, ability to prepare clear strategic reportsand advice;
- Knowledge of IOM finance, procurement and HR procedures and rules;
- Strong familiarity in IOM administrative and financial management, accounting, budgetmonitoring, cash management and internal control procedures;
- High level of computer literacy, in particular, experience in computerized accounting systemand software;
- Knowledge of MS Office specifically; and,
- Knowledge of SAP an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Kurdish and Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE, by 21 September 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 102 Compliance Officer (P3) Erbil, Iraq (57514170) Released
Posting: Posting NC57514171 (57514171) Released