The Excellence Community Education Welfare Scheme (ECEWS) is a leading and reputable indigenous non-for-profit organization that promotes access to qualitative healthcare, education and economic strengthening opportunities for all Nigerians. With its headquarters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and a corporate office in Abuja, ECEWS has presence in 17 States across the South-South, South East, South West and North Central Nigeria with a strong client portfolio with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Global Fund to fight against AIDS, TB and Malaria, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (US CDC), The United Nations office of Projects, World Bank & Federal Government of Nigeria. Since its founding in 2001, ECEWS has built a vast network of health and allied professional staff, partners and collaborators which has earned her a solid reputation among its funders and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Compliance Manager
Location: Akwa Ibom
Level of Effort: Full Time
- ECEWS is implementing a project called Accelerating Control for HIV Epidemic Project (ACE) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Akwa Ibom & Cross River States targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
- US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is a funded project aimed at Delivering Comprehensive and Sustainable HIV/AIDS Clinical and Community Services to achieve HIV epidemic control in sub-National units of Delta, Osun and Ekiti States in Nigeria under PEPFAR and is in partnership with John Hopkins Programs for International Education on Gynecology and Obstetrics (Jhpiego) in implementing a four year USAID funded project titled “Momentum Country & Global Leadership (MCGL)” with the goal of addressing major contributors to maternal mortality and morbidity through the prevention and mitigation of the consequences of violence against women and girls (VAW/G) and possible drivers of child early and forced marriage (CEFM), Intimate Partner violence (IPV), Sexual Violence (SV), early adoption of family planning (FP).
Auditing and Financial Compliance (60%):
- Support in the design and execution of operational audits to ensure the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal control environment in compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures and identify opportunities for process improvements.
- Develop a targeted, risk-based, and coherent annual financial assurance/compliance plan, disseminate the plan to management and core operations teams and ensure strict adherence/implementation of the plan within stipulated timelines.
- Conduct periodic financial assurance reviews and investigation of compliance issues to ensure that procedures are followed and prepare detailed findings memoranda for management and advise on next steps.
- Work closely with the Compliance Director to monitor implementation of these processes and for clarity of communication of the processes.
- Support the Finance team with project and statutory audits, including organizing teams, checking compliance with donor polices and applicable laws, detecting control weaknesses, and verifying financial records.
- Perform audit assignments, including plan preparation, workpapers, finding, and associated reports; verifies the accuracy of financial records as they pertain to assets, liabilities, receipts, expenditures, and related donor transactions.
- Under the supervision of the Compliance Director perform assurance reviews of the projects’ procurement and financial records to ensure compliance with organizational policies and procedures by understanding and documenting business processes, interpret policies and procedures, and evaluate key risks.
- Examines physical and electronic vouchers against organizational policies and procedures.
- Assesses completeness of substantiating documents against contractual terms and conditions.
- Maintains a database of record-keeping recommendations and observations.
- Reviews and develops procedures to mitigate the risk of fraud and wastage.
Business Process Analysis, Design, Implementation, and Management (20%):
- Consult and provide guidance and information to internal clients on process development or redesign initiatives.
- Manage and negotiate the timelines of the process improvement projects focusing on the development, implementation, administration and operation of new business processes and strategies.
- Identifies physical and electronic filing trends across all vouchers and makes filing process improvement recommendations, when relevant.
- Participate in the development and implementation of systems that result in improved operational efficiency and reduced organizational risk.
- Monitor and provide updates on post-implementation and conformance reviews with a focus on continuous improvement and compliance.
- Act as a main business process improvement expertise contact point and provide direction, mentoring and guidance to less experienced staff providing them ongoing support in process design, process support and process operations.
- Support on developing new partnership mechanisms processes, SOPs, etc.
- Advise stakeholders on the issues and problems that may arise as process implementation activities and improvements occur.
- Keep abreast with the client’s fiduciary policies, organization policies and procedures, current developments in accounting and auditing professions, and changes in local legislation.
On-boarding and Training Facilitation for Functions Worldwide (10%):
- Facilitate on-boarding and training programs to provide staff with the tools needed to perform their duties in an effective and efficient manner in compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
Management and Supervision (10%):
- Manage the work of the Compliance Associates that support the various teams.
- Supervisory responsibilities include, but are not limited to, developing and agreeing goals and work plans, meeting with supervisees on a regular basis to discuss issues, track work progress, provide guidance and support, and ensure consistent quality of work performed; conducting Performance Plan and Reviews; communicating, implementing and assuring adherence to organizational policies, guidelines and values; developing staff skills and knowledge; approving time sheets; and facilitating supervisee success whenever possible.
- Perform other duties assigned by his/her supervisor
- Any other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Minimum Recruitment Standard
- Minimum of 6 years of compliance-related work experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, or Accounting required; Lead Audit or Accounting certification from reputable certifying body or an Advanced Degree required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to effectively lead meetings and conduct presentations.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with others, identify root causes, and drive results
- Experience with aspects of federal cost reimbursement practices, such as the Federal Acquisitions Regulations (FAR) and USAID/the Global Fund regulations strongly desirable.
- Prior work experience with non-USG, foundations and other donors desirable.
- Experience building capacity/ training diverse groups highly desirable, both in a classroom or in an electronic setting.
- Experience working on a USAID or donor-funded project required
- Fluency in English is required.
Application Closing Date
31st October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Resume and a one-page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to the “Human Resources Unit” through: [email protected] using Your Full Name, Job Title and Location as the subject of the email.
- Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
- Eligible female applicants are encouraged to apply. ECEWS has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
- ECEWS does not charge candidates a fee for a test or interview.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.