The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the UN Migration Agency. With 174 member states it is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. Established in 1951 and now active in over 400 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government, and civil society to:
- Assist in meeting the operational challenges of migration and mobility
- Advance understanding of migration issues
- Encourage social and economic development through migration; and
- Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants (including Internally Displaced Persons, refugees, asylum seekers), and mobile populations
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
IOM’s Regional Office for the East and Horn of Africa supports and monitors the following countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Through a team of specialists, the Regional Office supports the development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of projects and initiatives undertaken by country offices and regional programmes.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director for East and Horn of Africa (EHOA) and direct supervision of the Regional Migrant Response Plan Coordinator for the Horn of Africa, and the technical supervision of the Regional Public Information Officer, the Communications Officer would:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the overall coordination with partners in the field of communications within the framework of the Regional Migrant Response Plan (MRP) for the Horn of Africa and Yemen.
- Lead the development and implementation of strategic communication initiatives for the positioning and visibility of the MRP.
- Assist in coordinating and producing appeals for international assistance and contributes to preparing the MRP annual appeals and programming cycles.
- Take the lead in strategy, planning, development, and implementation of communications campaigns (e.g., global advocacy initiatives, regional public information programmes) and joint communications strategies in humanitarian and development contexts in coordination with relevant thematic specialists.
- Lead standard media and communications efforts, including joint messaging and chairing the MRP communications working group.
- Provide support to enhance visibility and communication of the work of the MRP working groups such as the Migrant Protection Working Group and Information Management Working group.
- Represent the MRP in relevant meetings and conferences and build information networks, organize media coverage and arrange briefings, and interviews; organize seminars, strategic outreach activities, joint activities with MRP partners, lectures, conferences, media trips, public events on major issues and events concerning the MRP.
- Act as the focal point for the MRP website: upload documents, update information and support its broadcasting; act as the link with the media and prepare responses to press requests related to MRP issues. Maintain an updated database with contacts of journalists.
- Prepare a diverse range of information communications products in support of priority MRP initiatives, including talking points about the work of the MRP, press statements, situation reports, newsletters and key messages; manage publications produced within the framework of the MRP, including content, design and translation.
- Carry out media monitoring on topics related to the MRP and share a bi-weekly report highlighting points of interest, evaluating results and impact of communications activities; and report on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the MRP and the broader response.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and other digital and printed documents necessary for meetings or external presentations and establish and coordinate training programmes.
- Prepare posts for social media networks, produce audiovisual materials, and generate content for them on topics related to the MRP.
- Oversee the Communications Plans for the MRP projects in close collaboration with the MRP focal points and communications staff at country levels.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Media, Communication, Journalism, or related, or Social Sciences from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with five years of relevant professional experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration, or related area.
- Humanitarian experience in the field (actual setting where a mission and/or project is being implemented) in emergencies (complex or natural disasters) is required.
- Experience in advanced data visualization and information design skills
- Demonstrated ability for leadership in the context of partnership building and consensual decision-making.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills, as well as strategic and creative thinking;
- Efficiency, flexibility, high level of professionalism and ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Advanced knowledge in Adobe programs
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Knowledge of French is advantageous. Fluency/working knowledge of languages in the East and Horn of Africa is highly desirable.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Position Title and Vacancy Number with three professional referees (previous and current supervisors), and their contacts (both email and telephone) to International Organization for Migration (IOM), RO Human Resources Department, via e-mail: [email protected]
CLOSING DATE: 16 September 2022
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Kindly click here to access the Call for Application.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details. Posting period:
From: 09.09.2022 to 16.09.2022